Overview of Creation
Background of Taekwondowon BusinessCreation of “Taekwondowon” as a leading brand of Korea to play a pivotal role as the birthplace of Taekwondo
Taekwondo was adopted as an official Olympic event at the 103rd IOC General Assembly (1994. 09).
It has now become an international sport trained by 80 million people in 206 nations.
There is a need to ensure legitimacy and enhance status as the birthplace of Taekwondo.
There must be symbolic Taekwondo infrastructure that meets its status as the birthplace of Taekwondo.
Taekwondo is to be fostered as a leading brand, culture and tourism resource of Korea.
It is necessary to form public opinion to create a global mecca of Taekwondo.
Creation of a global Taekwondo headquarters has become urgent with the accelerated growth of Taekwondo in other countries.
Progress of Construction
- Finalized the site for Taekwondowon (Muju-gun, Jeollanam-do)
- Completed construction
- Groundwork and construction (2013. 06: Approval of building use)
- Celebration and groundbreaking ceremony of Taekwondo Day
- Appointed the turn-key constructor for Taekwondowon
- Party qualified for working design: Samsung C&T Consortium (Samsung, Doosan, Hanwha, Seongjeon E&C)
- International Taekwondowon Master Plan Design Contest
- Winner: The BODY, MIND and SPIRIT (Weiss & Manfredi / U.S)
- Enactment of ‘Act on the Promotion of Taekwondo and Creation of Taekwondo Park’
- Completed feasibility survey on total business expense